Wednesday, May 16, 2018

Cherokee Charlie 


The name brings to mind visions of an era gone by . A mythical character of lore out of the old west.  A man who can shoot it straight with a six gun and his word.
 The man the legend and those very skills are very much alive and well. A Character
To some that have had the pleasure to have know him.
 Charlie as I know him was very instrumental in starting my path down the Rimfire road.
It was some years ago that Charlie introduced me to Rimfire Challenge.
He saw something in me that i didn't see and took me under his wing.
 You see there was a rivalry with Alabama
And Georgia  in the shooting game.
 Charlie had the answer train me to shoot
Cowboy guns and make a rig for me to compete

Charlie not only is a master shot but also a master leather maker .
Hand tooling leather into works of art!
His style is your imagination.

I won that match with the cowboy guns and rig . Winning open also .Winning the very first of 30 plus State Titles and 8 metals in World and National events.
Launching my career in the Rimfire World.
  I had the opportunity to catch up with Charlie and go out for a shooting session.
Charlie is now in his late 70's and doesn't get around very well any more.
His love of shooting and his inability to move with the young kids of the fast paced
Games drove Charlie to invent ever challenging games
 Extreme rimfire is one of his crowning jewels
Long range silhouette from the bench at various ranges to 200 yards.
Charlie excels at the game . Shooting month after month amazing scores

Today while on the range Cherokee Charlie was up to his old ways and showed me a new game

Shoot a paint ball off a golf tee at ranges to 200 yards
I made the shots out to 156 yards hitting after numerous tries . The toughest shots I've ever made in my career.

We had a great day on the range and wrapped it up as I dropped Charlie off at home admiring his trophy room 


Cherokee Charlie is still on the range and gets around in his chair .
I have learned so much from him as I'm sure you have someone in your life you have learned from .
I asked Charlie how many people he's taken shooting or had an influence on and he said hundreds maybe thousands over the years.
It makes me realize how much our elders have to teach us if we would take some tine with them and listen .
Take someone to the range and help them enjoy the sport and art of the shot!
John Nagel 
Pro shooter 
Team AGUILA 
Prostaff for MAGNUM REASERCH 
NIGHTFORCE OPTICS

1 comment:

  1. John Nagle, There is one thing for sure: You are a fantastic shooter. It is all my pleasure of knowing you. As I understand it you have made a shooter out of your wife. I am so glad to hear this. Thank you for saying all those good things about me.
    I don't know that I deserve those kind words but I will accept them. All I can say is I thank you and it's been a hell of a ride.

    ReplyDelete